Saturday, November 05, 2011

nnwm3 - money matters

I used to sit in my room saturday nights.  Especially at the end of the month.  I'd picked up a copy of Money in Bangkok.  My screen was running hot.  It was smy social life to a large extent.  If Henry was out of town, Belle would be back in her apartment.  I didn't go out without them usually, it was too sad.  So instead I was obsessive about entering each item on my credit card statements, keeping everything is its classification.  The expenses from travel, the reimbursements for my travel expenses. I loved to look at Your Assets chart once I'd finished, that made me happy.  Money is good, I like it.  It was never a big deal before, in fact I didn't like, because I had to spend, and when I spent it, as I had to, it was the absence that hurt, because all I ever did was pay off my credit cards and fix up my car with the tax rebates each year. There was always something wrong with the car each year that sucked almost all, if not more than, my tax rebate.)  tHe day I sold my car and the guy who bought it handed over the money in cash, ten grand, even though his wife was concerned that the air-con worked and not so upset that the rear left window had no power, there was ten grand in my hand.  That felt good, even though next day I would have to  give seven of it to the credit co-op who had financed the car five years ago. It was only the automatic payments that forgot me through those repayments and I had paid over half of the money back, plus interest of course seven per cent, not too bad I guess.  If I didn't have the money in my hand I wouldn't spend it.  Like I ever had any money in my hand.  Put a kid through private school on a single income with a car that keeps breaking down and a house that keeps falling apart, even though it is a good part of town, you'll see what I mean about not having any cash.  I lived on my credit cards, like everybody does these days, hence the global economy being screwed am I right?  It is invisibly flush with invisible cash, cash that doesn't have physical presence, except when they ship it to China.  And here I am in China and I have lots of money and as I look at the screen , each month see that I am getting more money.  I am ahead of those bills, Byron is in University on a scholarship - actually he was on scholarships at the private school as well, partly because of his academic skills and partly because he was the best cricketer in the competition.  Having money makes you like money. When I was poor I hated money, now that my chart is rising, I am becoming quite fond of it.

Wordcount: 500

Total: 2061

No comments: